Had a chance to run a test tonight with the new game-asset pipeline I’m working on for me/us/the studio. The screenshots you see before you here are from Marmoset. The maps were generated in Topogun and then applied to the low-res game-ready geometry here in Marmoset for testing. 

End result was that I found my problem areas. Mostly around the mouth and eyes, but also the hands. 

Tonight I started to go back in and finalize the geometry for map generation and prepping for Animation. 

Time for some sleep.

Another series of screen captures depicting the next steps I took to get to a game-ready asset. 

Finished the asymmetry in Topogun. Then moved into Headus UVLayout. Kept having issues with the OSX version so switched over to parallels and got it working in there. Then saved it out of UVLayout and brought it into Maya LT for UV Layout and optimization. Still needs some work, but more worried about fleshing out the pipeline right now. 

Next steps will be to cleanup overlapping UV’s. Bring the model and finished UV’s back into Topogun for Map Generation. 

Time for some sleep. 

Here is a series of screenshots showing the progress of creating the game-ready geometry. 

The original Zbrush model was around 35 million polys. I used Reconstruct Subdivisions to get the polycount lower while maintaining the integrity of the sculpt and polypaint work. For those of you wondering, I tried the decimation master but Zbrush kept crashing on me. Plus I haven’t UV’ed yet so I was losing my Polypaint when it didn’t crash on me… right away. 

I then exported the mesh with polypaint out of Zbrush as an obj at around 2mil polys and brought it into Topogun. I then began the short process of retopologizing the mesh to game-ready geometry. Once the base mesh was completed I then exported as an Obj and brought it into Maya LT and finished off creating the mouth bag and the eyelids. 

Next step will be to reimport into Topogun, adjust for asymmetry and then export again and go into UVLayout to complete the UV. Then I will reimport into Topogun to generate the maps. 

Fun. Fun. Fun. 🙂

Till next time.  

Goal: Asian Human Character for Medieval/Dark Ages-based game.

Tools Used: Zbrush 4R5

Character Traits: Emaciated. Starved. Skinny. Unhealthy.

Decided it was time to move on to the Asian-based character. Zbrush is so powerful to be able to take the same model and just use the move tool. This is from the same Nordic/Germanic sculpt. About 2 hours of work to get it to this point. 

Feedback received from indie studio Dragon Slumber says that the neck is a bit thin. If the character is emaciated the skull would remain the same size, but the neck muscles would atrophied leaving nothing but skin and bone. Needless to say I would go ahead and thicken the neck up which they said looks better. Don’t know… may change later.  

Goal: African Human Character for Medieval/Dark Ages-based game.

Tools Used: Zbrush 4R5

Character Traits: Emaciated. Starved. Skinny. Unhealthy.

Decided to move on to the African based character.

This character is an amalgamation of several different references of African male images from google and 3d.sk. 

Mostly just used the move, clay buildup and dam standard brushes. 

Still needs a lot of work. 

Goal: Nordic/Germanic Human Character for Medieval/Dark Ages-based game.

Tools Used: Zbrush 4R5

Character Traits: Emaciated. Starved. Skinny. Unhealthy.

Got some more work done on the entire body. Even with detailed references, I’m still struggling with getting the knees correct. Guess this is what i deserve for abandoning my anatomy studies. I’m also struggling with the balance of proportions and what I have for healthy references and unhealthy references.