Where are the Updates?

That is an excellent question and I have a very easy answer…

Zbrush Normal Map Generation Sucks!

I have literally been fighting how it generates Normal Maps for the last 2-3 weeks. So, I finally gave up and went to the all and powerful Google to get some answers. Turns out that most people agree with me and their answer is to use xNormal. Okay… sure. Another application to add to the pipeline. Why not?

Therefore, I went to see what they would look like with a quick test. Needless to say, not only was the map generation faster, but it was much more accurate with none of the “bad things” that were happening in Zbrush.

The only problem I’m having now, is when I import multiple objects for batch processing, xNormal isn’t analyzing individual objects its treating it like it is one object. So, there’s overlapping normals. For example, instead of the normal just showing the skirt, it is also showing the scabbard and the harness and buckle on top of the normal for the skirt. In other words, I’ll either have to use FBX as suggested on EAT3D.com or I’ll have to do one by one and then piece them together in Photoshop. Needless to say, no fun to be had.

On top of that, I’m currently travelling to Philadelphia for the day job and my capability to work will be very limited, but I will still try to figure it out while in Philly.

I think that’s all for now.

Cheers!

Goal: Asian Human Character for Medieval/Dark Ages-based game.

Tools Used: Zbrush 4R5

Character Traits: Emaciated. Starved. Skinny. Unhealthy.

Decided it was time to move on to the Asian-based character. Zbrush is so powerful to be able to take the same model and just use the move tool. This is from the same Nordic/Germanic sculpt. About 2 hours of work to get it to this point. 

Feedback received from indie studio Dragon Slumber says that the neck is a bit thin. If the character is emaciated the skull would remain the same size, but the neck muscles would atrophied leaving nothing but skin and bone. Needless to say I would go ahead and thicken the neck up which they said looks better. Don’t know… may change later.  

Goal: Nordic/Germanic Human Character for Medieval/Dark Ages-based game.

Tools Used: Zbrush 4R5

Character Traits: Emaciated. Starved. Skinny. Unhealthy.

More reworking the shapes and messing around with spotlight in Zbrush. I’m pretty happy with how this is turning out, but you know how it goes being an artist. Gotta keep pushing it to the point where it goes too far and then just pull back enough to balance it just right. Ok. More work to do.