It’s not much, but I’ve been working on making sure the geometry is good enough for the animation. Adjusting and adding geometry where needed and optimizing for as little impact to the game as possible.  

I’ve also been trying different ways to generate maps. Tried Topogun which has its own problems and Zbrush’s MultiMap Exporter as well, but I am getting better results with it than Topogun. 

My workflow right now is a mess trying to figure out what’s best for me. 

Here’s what i have so far: 

1. Create the HiRes Mesh and Polypaint in Zbrush. 

2. Create the Low Poly either by zremesher or using topogun to retopologize and reimport into zbrush and use the subtool project. 

3. Then go into Headus UV Layout Tool to create the UV layout. 

4. Edit the UVs in Maya. 

5. Import the updated UVed model back into Zbrush and use the MultiMap Exporter. 

6. Then test animation. 

I know I know, not very fluid and kinda clunky, but I’m just getting back into the game and the recommended workflows are either crashing my system or they give me terrible artifacting in my normal maps. 

That’s it for tonight. Gotta get back to the day job tomorrow. Ugh, I feel like there’s just too much to do and not enough time. 

Cheers!

Another update. 

Polypainting almost done. Decided to remove the diaper and go with a loincloth/leather substitute based on the era the game takes place in. 

Toying with the idea that the type of metal the collar is, is determined by your crime. So, the worst the crime the stronger the metal. Don’t know how I like that or not. 

There will be a rope belt added for support later as part of the final game geometry. 

Time for sleep. 

Update to the Caucasian Prisoner Human Character for the Game. 

About three weeks ago I had decided that I needed to go ahead and redesign the caucasian character after finishing the asian and the african based prison characters. The latter two ethnicities looked much better than the original design of the caucasian character that he just looked odd now and out of place. 

So, I redid that character. 

Well, I recently went to retrieve the character update to share with the team and low and behold the file was corrupted/missing. So, I’ve had to go ahead and redo the redesign again and it actually has turned out pretty good after about 5-6 hours. Nothing like the first redesign, but never the less still pretty good. The hair needs a lot of work but that will probably be done with poly slices and I need to finish texture painting his body as well. 

The second image shows the comparison shot of the original design (left) versus the new one (right). 

Cheers!

Had a chance to run a test tonight with the new game-asset pipeline I’m working on for me/us/the studio. The screenshots you see before you here are from Marmoset. The maps were generated in Topogun and then applied to the low-res game-ready geometry here in Marmoset for testing. 

End result was that I found my problem areas. Mostly around the mouth and eyes, but also the hands. 

Tonight I started to go back in and finalize the geometry for map generation and prepping for Animation. 

Time for some sleep.

Another series of screen captures depicting the next steps I took to get to a game-ready asset. 

Finished the asymmetry in Topogun. Then moved into Headus UVLayout. Kept having issues with the OSX version so switched over to parallels and got it working in there. Then saved it out of UVLayout and brought it into Maya LT for UV Layout and optimization. Still needs some work, but more worried about fleshing out the pipeline right now. 

Next steps will be to cleanup overlapping UV’s. Bring the model and finished UV’s back into Topogun for Map Generation. 

Time for some sleep. 

Here is a series of screenshots showing the progress of creating the game-ready geometry. 

The original Zbrush model was around 35 million polys. I used Reconstruct Subdivisions to get the polycount lower while maintaining the integrity of the sculpt and polypaint work. For those of you wondering, I tried the decimation master but Zbrush kept crashing on me. Plus I haven’t UV’ed yet so I was losing my Polypaint when it didn’t crash on me… right away. 

I then exported the mesh with polypaint out of Zbrush as an obj at around 2mil polys and brought it into Topogun. I then began the short process of retopologizing the mesh to game-ready geometry. Once the base mesh was completed I then exported as an Obj and brought it into Maya LT and finished off creating the mouth bag and the eyelids. 

Next step will be to reimport into Topogun, adjust for asymmetry and then export again and go into UVLayout to complete the UV. Then I will reimport into Topogun to generate the maps. 

Fun. Fun. Fun. 🙂

Till next time.